A Tour of the Cell
1. What is the usual size range for cells?
2. Explain the process of cell fractionation.
3. What are the key differences between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
4. Identify the importance of surface area to volume ratios in cells.
5. Why is compartmentalization important for cells?
6. Describe the nucleus and its contents.
7. What is the function of ribosomes? What are the roles of free and bound ribosomes?
8. What are the components of the endomembrane system?
9. Compare the structure and functions of rough ER and smooth ER.
10. Describe the structure and functions of Golgi apparatus.
11. What is the relationship between Golgi and ER?
12. Imagine a protein is to be exported from the cell. Trace the path of the protein through the cell starting with the mRNA in the nucleus.
13. Describe the function of lysosomes.
14. Differentiate between vacuoles and vesicles. What are some roles of vacuoles?
15. Give some similarities and differences between mitochondria and chloroplasts.
16. How does the cytoskeleton contribute to motility and cell structure?
17. How do cilia and flagella bend?
18. How does the ECM enable cells to interact with their environment?
19. Describe the three types of junctions between cells.