1. Outline the hormone feedback that regulates blood glucose.
2. Although obesity is currently a major global health problem, how is fat hoarding adaptive?
3. How do leptin, PYY, ghrelin, and insulin work together to regulate appetite?
4. Define ingestion, digestion, absorption, and elimination.
5. Briefly describe intracellular in food vacuoles, and digestion in gastrovascular cavities and alimentary canals.
6. What role is played by the mouth, tongue, and teeth in digestion?
7. What are the functions of the acid and pepsin present in gastric juice.
8. How is the stomach protected from digesting itself?
9. Pepsin is an enzyme that digests protein. How do the cells that make it avoid being digested themselves?
10. Be familiar with the roles of the liver, gallbladder, and pancreas.
11. Be familiar with the major enzymes in digestion.
12. Describe how the structure of the lining of the small intestine relates to it’s function. What features contribute to the function?
13. Fats are large molecules and not very soluble in water. How are they digested and absorbed?
14. What is the major function of the large intestine?
15. Why might treatment of a chronic infection with antibiotics for an extended period of time cause vitamin K deficiency?
16. Outline some of the adaptations associated with digestion that can be seen in dentition, the stomach and intestine, and symbiosis.